Thursday, July 30, 2009

JORDAN

I give you... JORDAN! (sorry, my titles aren't very creative)..
This is the funerary tomb in Petra (you've probably seen it in the Indiana Jones movie), it was amazing to see it in real life. You have to walk a couple miles through a canyon/mountain to get to it, but it's well worth the walk. I couldn't believe how well it was preserved after all these years. (Oh and I'm not an angry person, it just went with the theme of the place)
This was a little Bedouin family that we got to know. The youngest little boy was tied to his mom's table so he wouldn't run off the mountain. It was so funny because I went to pick him up and didn't realize he was tied on.

hhiiii--yaaa! Yes I had to wear my knee brace to be able to hike up there, attractive, I know.
This little Bedouin girl, Tamam, became our best friend in Petra. She wants to be a doctor, specifically a surgeon, but first I needed to teach her some American hang clapping games
This is Dima, she took me to her little tent and decided to place flowers anywhere she could on my head. I wanted to take her home with me. Her mom made me some Tea and I felt so bad that I couldn't drink it. She didn't speak English so I tried to explain in broken ARabic that it was forbidden ('Haram').. I kept saying (while pointing to the sky) .."Allah says haram for me, tea is haram for me"


'look into the glass, now what do you see?'
Behind us is the Dead Sea, and Rach (the girl next to me) just got her mission call to Chicago North mission, Spanish speaking! We have even more of a bond than just our names now (because I'm from Chicago).
Jordan River, most likely the place where Christ was baptized. It was extremely hot, with the humidity it was even worse than Lake Powell heat..ahh..

Dead Sea scrolls in a museum
Citadel Mosque in Amman., the women had to wear these black robes.
Inside the mosque..
Jerash- an ancient Roman city in Amman.



1 comment:

Lydia said...

Rachel I love you, even though you haven't blogged since Jordan. Also you haven't blogged about me and how lucky you are you know me. You could write a whole blog post about how fun it is to be sitting right next to me right now. You live a good life.