Monday, July 6, 2009

The streets of West Jeru...

It takes quite a bit of time to upload so many pictures for a monthly blog post so therefore, from now on I am going to just do a bunch of smaller posts. This one is a recollection of the nights (and some days) spent in West Jerusalem. It's the only place we are allowed to go once the sun sets. West J-ru (as we call it) is the Jewish quarter of Jerusalem. When you walk from the Old City to West Jerusalem, it's as if you got transported in the future a couple hundred years. Here, you can see for yourself...
This is my favorite Jewish Street. HAHA.

Finals finished this night, we had to let out our pent up energy somehow after being inside the center for 7 days straight..
'Gelado by the Bald Man' mmmm...
This is my favorite taxi/van driver who always comes and gets us from West Jeru at night. His name is Amhad, has 4 kids and lives on the Mt. of Olives, great guy.
Western Wall.
This was the Western Wall on Shuv'at, or Pentacost. We got up at 5 a.m. and went to the wall, I have never seen that many Jews at one time in my life. It was incredible to see the little children reading their prayer books that diligently, and that early.
Emily's 22nd Birthday at a Pizza place on Ben Yehuda
Waiting for the van to come pick us up... bored? maybe.. entertaining ourselves? Definitely.

The only restaurant open on Shabbat was 'Meat Burger' (a kosher hamburger restaurant), it was surprisingly pretty good.. probably because it was the first meal I'd had without dill in weeks...
Hebrew McDonalds Menu! I love McDonalds, I never did at home, but here it's the best and only fast food around!

One night we went exploring and found this Greek Orthodox hotel/church, this was on the outside.

We also found a huge windmill, probably equivalent to the bell tower at BYU, but twice as big.
If you couldn't tell, we got in a huge water fight at this fountain
I am assuming this is some form of a play set.. Or maybe a large sea shell? I have no idea to tell you the truth, but it was a fun to slide down. I have to tell the funniest story that happened at this place. One of the guys in our group, Brent, was running up to large rocks and jumping off of them. He jumped on what he thought was a rather long rock and a homeless man in a sleeping bag shot straight up! He looked up and Brent booked it, I have never seen a man sprint so fast. I witnessed the whole thing and was dying laughing, I literally couldn't even stand I was laughing so hard. That poor, poor man. Brent says he luckliy jumped at a place where the man's body wasn't (because he felt the grass), or so he says..
Yad Vashem field trip, which is basically a memorial to the Jews who died in the Holocaust. Pictures weren't allowed inside for good reason. It was a very depressing yet informative museum, especially from the account of a Jewish tour guide.

2 comments:

Cebre said...

Rachel, you are so blessed to have this opportunity. :)

Thanks for letting me live a bit through your blog!

Caitlin said...

I thought the museum was Fascinating. Also, are you wearing Aladdin pants in one of the pictures? Awesome! Looks like your having fun! Love you and miss you!